Saturday, June 14, 2008

It's Garden time

My garden always looks great in June, so I'm sharing my favorite spots with you. I had a morning dove who built her nest right on the ground. In fact, didn't build a nest at all, just used the mulch I already had down there. I've been told morning doves are not very smart.

What was so sad about this, is I watched this little bird look like it had fallen out of it's nest. then next day I saw the mother sitting with it, and she had another little bird. She sat there for days, it looked like she never moved. I'm not sure when she went off to gather food to feed them...but she must have.

I'm not sure what happened to the birds, they're gone now. But my feeling is they didn't make it. I did see a dead baby bird in my driveway, not sure if it was the same one, but the cats apparently left it there to honor me.

I remember when I had a head injury back around 1990. I had been hit in the head with a softball at practice, it was bad. Although it wasn't serious, I did have a slight concussion. At the time Joel was away on some "boys" weekend. So, there I was, wanting nothing more than to go to sleep for the next 10 years, hurting, and crying all weekend too.

And as I was sitting outside, I noticed a mother bird in her nest taking care of her young. I must have watched that bird for hours (you do weird things when you have a head injury). By the end of the day, this bird and I were one. Struggling on our own to take care of and protect our young, facing adversity, rising above... this bird became a symbol of my life at that point. I was inspired, lifted toward new goals, engergized, if this bird could do it.....SO COULD I!!!

Next morning, bird, nest and babies were gone. Knocked down, babies slaughtered, mom off to start a new life (I hope).

I cried all day.

You do weird things when you have a head injury.

Garden photos:




This is my clamatis




I love this plant, I hate this plant. I cannot kill it. but it does reward me with some pretty blooms.




I think of this as my secret path



primrose. It's done now, but in early june it's wonderful



My new front sitting area

3 Comments:

Blogger Alexis said...

The Garden looks beautiful! I can't wait to see it in person in a couple weeks!

I remember the birds. I was comletely traumatized by their death. It was one of those stupid neighborhood cats. I think that's why I've never been fond of pets, I was bit by a dog and cats slaughtered little innoncent birds in my back yard. Can you blame me for not being an animal person?

6:22 AM

 
Blogger Jessica + Chuck said...

i think dead birds are some kind of phenomena in VB. i never see them anymore (not that i get to go outside that much) but i will never forget that smell. I saw quite a few in my childhood. Weird how that stuff stays with you. I love your tender story and love you for posting this nice story and LOVE your garden!!! i have a flowering vine in full blossom here i have to send a photo so you can help me determine what it is.
I love you!

10:31 PM

 
Blogger nicole said...

i loved being in your garden this weekend. it was so nice. and especially beautiful to see those great colors shining through the back window. i also remember those baby birds and do you remember when the birds had their revenge on the neighborhood cat? i remember finding the cats body ripped up, missing an eyeball with half and ear. It was WAY dead.

11:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home