Monday, December 01, 2008

I LOVE AMERICA!!!

I had to amend my tax return, simple mistake,but we had overstated the state tax I paid, so a simple amended return. I overpaid $1,168.00 on my original federal return. So, the amended return adjusted the amount I chose to carry over to my '08 estimated by $150.00

I GOT A BILL WITH INTEREST FOR $150. TOTAL: $155.74

Okay, let's review the facts:

1. I overpaid.
2. I get no interest on that overpayment
3. I amend my return, so I overpaid by $150 less.
4. The IRS has my $1,1018.
5. NOW, I owe them $150. WITH INTEREST: $5.74
6. They still have my $1,1018 for toward '08
7. Chances are I'll overpay for '08 too.

YET I STILL OWE THEM $155.74 TOWARD '07 IN CASH BY DECEMBER 31.

8. I will get NO INTEREST ON THE $1,018
9. But I owe them interest.
10. By the way, they calculated the interest from april 15. The amended return just was sent in November. So... they had my $1,168 until November, it's only since november, they decided they didnt' have my $150. but I pay interest from April 15. AMAZING.

When I tried to figure out the logic of this, and said to the agent, no business in the world could operate like this, she just told me this isnt' a business, it's the IRS. And when I asked her as a person, not an IRS agent, can she undrestand how the logic of this escapes me, her responce was, "Yes, but I'm an IRS agent, I work for hte IRS, they pay me." And then I told her, no, I PAY YOU.

She hung up on me after that. I suspect I'll be audited soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Clan Hill said...

Your comment to the agent at the end freaking rocks. Your situation, however, stinks. Taxes are something I will never understand.

5:59 AM

 
Blogger CKF said...

There ya' go .. .feel better?!? Maybe you should write a letter!

4:58 PM

 
Blogger Jessica + Chuck said...

was is state or federal? you can contact your mayors office and do a whole whistleblower thing if you want to get exhausted - especially after being hung up on, but in the end i am sure they would win anyway ... uggg.

3:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home