Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Follow through

last weekend I had a small party. I called it a gemini birthday party, and in true form it was two parties in one. A woman in town invited quite a few of her friends and fellow Gemini's and I had my group. Combined it made for a bizarre mix of guests, but as I said, the perfect party for Gemini's. Afterwards, a couple of people thanked me for a lovely time, and complimented my music, promising to share some of theirs with me, as they could tell I would like their collection.

Done, I figured, that was nice, never really expecting to get anything. These days we always drop kind gestures off, "oh, we must have a drink" or "I'll call you we'll do lunch" you know, a bundle of let's do, we shoulds and all those empty promises we make to not only others, but ourselves. Promising to actually get out, broaden our circle, play now and then. Now and then, Now and .....then...Then, life.

Life comes screaming in, and all of a sudden those new faces and empty promises disappear behind our jobs, businesses, housework, family commitments and lack of energy. In fact, really none of us are too busy to pick up the phone, drive by and say hi, or drop an e-mail. Look at me, I have time to sit here and write these darn posts, don't I?

It's habit that's to blame for it all. If we're losing touch, it's habit. Nothing else. I remember my mother's last birthday, I called her, and it was later in the day. I took her for granted, she would always be there, no question. My Godmother, I kept saying I need to get up to NY and see her, she was ill. Again, I felt, we'll there's time. My Godfather, who could of projected his untimely death. Even those we meet and think, nice person, I should include them in my life...then too much time and it becomes a stretch.

I write this, while listening to a wonderful CD that was dropped off at my house with a nice note. After this one, I'll pop in the Bobby Darren collection that was put together for me and mailed, again, with a nice note. And I think tonight I'll pick up the phone and call someone I've not spoken to in a while. After all, I owe it to myself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessica + Chuck said...

soooo true!

9:29 PM

 
Blogger nicole said...

i think abou thtis a lot. i used to blame it on the fact that i was a cancer, but it's nice to hear other signs come forward and talk about it. i'm a terribly nostalgic person. sometimes it is crippling. but that's one of the reasons i started really loving the online connection websites like myspace. they let me casually pop messages over to people i hadn't seen in a long time or leave little comments or old jokes on my friend's pages. the problem is sometimes it can become a substitute for real human interaction. then i think about it, and i realize that some people are so far on the peripheral of my social life that i would have NO contact with them at all if it weren't for the internet, which is okay i think. then sometimes i wonder if it is worth holding on to those people, but ultimately i just get so caught up in my own life, that i spend all my time talking to the same 10 people and that's about it. aren't you glad to be one of them? haha, but yes I also get upset with myself for not seeing people like my cousins who live a 45 minute train ride away. i see them not with any kind of frequency. but i'm hoping once justin gets here we can go and send more time with them together.

11:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home