Thursday, February 10, 2011

it's check-up time

Have you ever tried to comparison shop the cost of healthcare. It's basically impossible.

I hate the medical system. I really hate hospitals. I'm not sure what healthcare reform has done for the cost of healthcare. Oh wait.. now I know... NOTHING. The real problem was never addressed because the insurance industry got thier way in the end.

I need to have my yearly mammogram. I used to go to an imaging cetner. mamaograms cost about $150, ok,maybe $200. Then the radiologist and so on... That place doesn't do mamograms anymore. I can't find anywhere to go get one done. Except of course, the hospital outpaitent. Now, my health policy doesn't cover maintenece. The new health plan may have solved that, I think by law they need to cover mamograms if you meet the criteria. But still, I don't want some $600 bill for a mamogram. Even if insurance does pay. So, I'm looking for a center I can go to, and trying to find out what it costs.

Oh my goodness, they're is a pause on the other end of the phone. Dead silence. They have no idea. No one. I mean NO ONE ever asks that question. None of us would buy a car and just pay what they say it's costs. We negotiate for homes, mortgage rates, home improvements, comparasion shop for appllances. Basically, none of us pay retail. it's sort of like bringing home the kill to brag about the bargain we got.

Yet, like lemmings, we blindly just go where we're told, follow the path outlined by our physician, no questions asksed. The virtual cliff of financial ruin.

I'm on a mssion. I won't put money before my health. But, think about it, isn't that where they get you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home