Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Apparently, I'm the only one who reads.

I remember when we had Isabelle come thru, a low category hurricane that caused mass amounts of damage. Everyone was stunned when they found out their homeowners had a 1 or 2% storm damage deductible off the value of their home they had to meet before any claim would be paid. Really? It's right their on your policy, in fact that year (prior to the hurricane) I had switched insurance companies because of that. I found the only company who wasn't putting that in their policies as "standard procedure."

A friend of mine said: "Who reads those policies?" "I do." I replied.

I'm funny that way... If I'm buying it or signing it, I read it. Like the contract you get when you take a cruise. I remember my first cruise thinking, wow, you're kind of on your own when you cruise. It basically strips you of almost any rights and you are at the mercy of whatever the cruise ship decides to do in the interest of passenger safety. On the other hand, you also agree to the fact that nothing is the cruise line's fault.

While reading it I thought, this is pretty scary. Like, for instance, don't ever... AND I MEAN DON'T EVER... tell a cruise ship employee that you have an upset stomach. They can quarantine you to your room for as long as they deem necessary to protect other passengers. All at their discretion.

So, the guests on the Costa are realizing "they can't sue" or at least, it will be a hassle. Like the women on the Today show this morning who are "having nightmares" Oh boohoo! Everyone is shocked that they can't get rich off their experience.

Apparently the cruise line is refunding all expenses, including travel. I think they're are some provisions for loss of personal property, and they will also pay any related medical expenses. Seems fair. But apparently fair doesn't cut it for our litigious society where accidents are turned into opportunities.

Now, I'm not sticking up for the cruise line, the captain may have been reckless. And I'm not implying that real loss shouldn't be compensated. There is real loss of life due to someone's carelessness. That poor couple from Minnesota, imagine their kids dealing with the loss. Of course, there is real trauma from the entire experience, I would probably still be recovering from it. I cannot imagine. But really people... DON'T YOU READ?

I do. I did.

Let's be grateful you walked away from the whole thing alive. Let's insure you're not out any money. Let's pray for those who have not faired as well. And move on. But stop the whining because "you can't sue." Geez!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home